Wednesday, April 20, 2011

OPTIFAST - Week #2, April 6, 2011

I made it through my first week of the program without any problems.  I lost three pounds and although I don't see or feel it, the fact that the scale reflects such a significant loss overwhelms me with joy and happiness!

I know you are dying to know what I weigh - suffice it to say, I need to lose fifty pounds, which puts me in the obese category.  Just typing that word, obese, makes me feel ill.  I am so disappointed in myself and angry that I had to one of those individuals who struggles with weight problems.  Not fair - I love to cook and I love to eat.  My fear is that I will never be able to enjoy "real food," again. 

Right now, I must focus on the positive aspects of this program and the fact that I caught my prediabetes early and with diet and exercise I should see my blood sugards revert back to normal pretty soon.

This week I tried a number of different frozen meals and will share with you my thoughts on them.  Remember, I am not fond of frozen meals, but I must also admit that these meals have come a long way over the years and some were pretty darn tasty!

Below is my critique of some of the meals I had this week

Frozen Meal Selection:  Kashi - Chicken Floretine.

Texture is a big thing for me - I hate soggy food. I like a little crunch, and I want to be able to taste the different ingredients.  This meal was actually pretty good.  Almost immediately, I could smell the chicken and garlic, while it was cooking in the microwave.  This one was low in calories and packed with protein.  Protein is so important in the body so I don't want to skimp on it.  Low protein can lead to hair, nail and skin problems not to mention issues with kidney function, among others. 

Total Calories: 290.  Total Fat: 9 grams.   Sodium: 550 mg.  Protein: 22 grams.

On a scale of 1-10 I would have to give this one a 7.5

Frozen Meal Selection:  Lean Cuisine - Garlic and Chicken Spring Rolls
Box contained two servings of three small rolls each.


Total Calories: 200.   Total Fat: 8 grams.   Sodium: 580 mg.     Protein: 10 grams.


I prepared it in the microwave using the cooking sleeve that came with the meal. It smelled good while cooking, I could smell the garlic and thought perhaps this would not be so bad after all. The outside of the roll was very good, I especially liked the crunch of it - texture is important when eating food, you want to have something that brings it all together. But the inside was way too mushy and soft which overwhelmed the crunch-factor of the outside.

On a scale of 1-10 I would have to give this one a 5.

Frozen Meal Selection: Lean Cuisine - Comfort line - Roasted Turkey Breast with savory herb dressing and cinnamon apples.


Total Calories: 300. Total Fat: 4 grams. Sodium: 650 mg. Protein: 14 grams.



The turkey was moist and tender and the dressing was well seasoned. To me there was too much dressing and not enough turkey. The texture was the issue for me again, something to tie this meal together, that crunch factor. The apples had a slight crunch but not enough to compensate for the overwhelming softness of the dressing. I also didn't taste any cinnamon, although I did like the apples.

On a scale of 1-10 I would have to give this one a 6.5

Frozen Meal Selection: Kashi - Mayan Harvest Bake
 I really enjoyed this entree!  Initially the look was anything but appealing but the smells from coming my microwave convinced me that I might have a winner here.  First, the texture was perfect, there was the crunch from the beans, and a chewiness from the sweet potato.  The spicy ancho sauce was mild and flavorful.  This one I will buy again.  The true test is if I enjoy it the second time around.  I have to consider the fact that hunger can play a role in how good something tastes too.  I mean, look, if you're starving just about anything will taste good!
 
Total Calories: 340     Total Fat: 9 grams     Total Sodium: 380 mg     Total Protein: 9 grams

On a scale of 1-10 I would have to give this one a 9.

Frozen Meal Selection: Amy's Light & Lean line - Pasta & Veggies made with organic broccoli and asparagus.


The vegetables had a nice crunch to them and the pasta was firm and not mushy. the sauce was mild and flavorful and it was topped with parmesan cheese. Actually the first frozen meal that actually looked like the picture on the carton.  I think those who enjoy pasta will actually like this selection a lot. However, for me, it was alright but something that I normally would not eat because I like my pasta dry and flavored from the meat or vegetables that I make to top it. Just not a lover of tomato sauce.

Total Calories: 210     Total Fat: 5 grams     Total Sodium: 470 mg     Total Protein: 10 grams

On a scale of 1-10 I would have to give this one a 7.

Frozen Meal Selection: Amy's Gluten Free line - Garden Vegetable Lasagna made with organic rice pasta and vegetables.



When I took the package out of the box it felt heavy, like it had some substance to it. It also looked very appetizing, just like the picture on the box. It took eight minutes to cook because the outer edges cooked quicker than the center. I have a high-end microwave so believe me when I say that it needed extra time to cook.  I was disappointed in that the lasagna noodles lost their texture and seem to melt into the vegetables. Although the meal tasted good, it had no texture, it was too soft, and I was not able to differentiate the various vegetables, like carrots, broccoli, zucchini, spinach, and peas. All the flavors just commingled leaving me to guess what the actually vegetables were.

Total Calories: 290     Total Fat: 9 grams     Total Sodium: 720 mg     Total Protein: 11 grams

On a scale of 1-10 I would have to give this one a 5.















No comments:

Post a Comment