Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Friday – January 29, 2010
25 days after the accident

1 day in Colorado

10am: My father wakes up in good spirits, he slept very well. I am not surprised considering how late we got in last night. My children are off to school and my husband is sleeping (he works the night shift). So I make a light breakfast for my father, since I am not sure what kind of foods he likes, I give him a fresh fruit platter, cut small since he has only 4 teeth, two top canines and two bottom. He enjoys the fresh blueberries, strawberries, and bananas. Next, I give him 3 oz of yogurt and a cup of decaffeinated black coffee with a shortbread cookie.
11am: I set him up on the reclining chair by the front bay window so he can relax, get some sun, and read the morning paper, while I clean up the kitchen. He is close enough for me to see and talk too.
12 noon: He is tired, I help him back to bed and put on the television for him, and he watches a movie and falls back to sleep about 2pm.
2-4pm: I take this opportunity to empty his two suitcases and wash all of his clothes. Because he used a washboard to clean his clothes, most of them were so embedded with dirt and grime and so worn thin that they fell apart in the washing machine! One of his coats just shredded in the washing machine, I was shocked at the condition of these clothes.
4pm: My husband arrives home with the kids. It was a nice reunion for everyone, my father’s eyes lit up when he saw the kids and my husband. Fortunately, my husband and father get along very well. This would be especially difficult if that relaxation was not intact. The kids entertain my father while I begin getting an early dinner on the table for everyone.
5:15pm: We sit down to homemade meatballs and spaghetti. I know my father cannot eat this; I made him a bowl of homemade squash soup. I don’t want to push the food, let him eat slowly and regain his strength. Besides, I don’t know what kinds of foods he can tolerate, squash is easy on the digestive system and he enjoyed it.
6:30pm: My husband spends some time talking to my father while the kids and I clean the kitchen. I overhear my father say, “Are you sure I am not a burden to you?” My husband tells my father, “Nate you are part of the family, and never a burden, we are happy to help you, and glad you are here.” My father cries, he is depressed and scared, still confused, he asks my husband three times if he is a burden. Each time my husband reassures him that everything is fine and will be fine.
7:30pm: We all watch a little television in my father’s room, he starts to fall asleep at 8:45pm so we kiss him goodnight and turn off the television.

No comments:

Post a Comment