Monday, April 26, 2010

Dad Goes Bowling!

Sunday April 25, 2010
110 days Since Accident
87 Days in Colorado


The family went bowling today to celebrate Jessica and Alicia's (belated) birthdays. I must have ran back into the house three times before we finally left for the Alley. First, I forgot dad's medicine, then I forgot to take my Flip recorder, and then I ran in a third time to grab the bottle of water and hard candy I left on the kitchen counter for dad. I really hate the fact that my memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Is this what 50 really looks like?

Finally settled in the car, we take off 30 minutes later than we originally planned. If we don't get to the Alley by 1:00pm we stand the chance of having to wait. Alicia has to be home by 4:00pm and we wanted to have a leisurely (not rushed) afternoon. Lately, it seems no matter how hard I try my time management skills seem to be in dire need of a tune-up! Today was certainly no exception. We were already ten miles south on the Interstate when I realized that I forgot to pick up the birthday cakes for the girls! I ordered one white cake with white frosting and another chocolate cake with chocolate frosting each with a girl's name on it. Oh, I feel just awful and I am sure I will feel even more awful when the bakery charges me for the cakes! You might wonder, why I don't make a to do list. Well, I actually do maintain a daily list of things to do, but I forgot it too!

We arrive at 1:35pm and we were informed that up until 20 minutes earlier there was no waiting. Frustrating! Larry, always the best at getting our time schedule back on track, suggests that we order a pizza,while we wait. Sounds like a good plan because I also didn't have an opportunity to eat anything and I was starving. As soon as we settled at a table with our large cheese pizza and pitcher of cola, no, sooner than our name is called for an available lane. Now we have to grab the tray of pizza, beverages, and plates, while at the same time manage to carry my bowling ball/shoes, Larry's gear, and hold onto dad. Larry takes the pizza and dad and goes down to our designated lane, while I take the kids for bowling shoes and to pay for the session. I had a coupon that saved us over $40.00 - just happened to find it in my glove compartment in the car and I have no clue when I put it in there, but was glad I did!

We were on a timer (two hours) and we had five minutes to find balls, load our names onto the computer, and get our shoes on. Geez, the other Alley we frequent had a much better system in place, when your party was ready to bowl you push the enter button and start, none of this five minute nonsense! Who can get ready that quickly when you have five people bowling? It took a couple of minutes just to get all the names into the computer!

Larry and I share the game, I have back problems and really have no business even bowling anymore, and Larry damaged his right thumb and he really should not have bowled either. We figured this was a good compromise, and it actually worked very well I was able to bowl with no back pain,(it helps having a custom-made 6 pound ball). Ok first up is Larry, he bowls very well, next is Joey, he has quite a wicked curve in front of a very powerful ball 16.2 MPH! Larry's best was 13+, Jessica 11, Alicia 9, and me between 8-12 mph. Dad is watching and enjoying a slice of pizza (don't ask me how he can do so well with two teeth in his mouth, yes, he is still refusing to wear the dentures).

We finish our first game and dad decides he wants to bowl. Jessica graciously gives up her turn so grandpa could bowl. She figured he couldn't do any worse than she was doing anyway (mostly gutter-balls with the occasional 2-4 pin hit). Larry finds a ball for dad and stands-by just in case dad has any trouble. The area around us goes quiet as people look over and notice my elderly father, who by the way is wearing a hard cervical collar, take tiny steps up to the lane and fling the ball. I pull from my purse the Flip recorder and tape the entire event. I figured he would get a gutter ball, but I am watching this ball, slowly but surely, slide down the middle, and like dominos, each pin, in succession falls down - STRIKE!

Dad jumps up and places his hands over his cheeks with utter shock and joy - the area begins to clap, and I proudly announce that dad,almost 90 years old, had never bowled before, and got a strike! Jessica's turn comes up again and she tells grandpa to go ahead and bowl on his strike. Once again, Larry helps dad to carry the ball to about 3 feet from the lane. Dad takes his little running steps and kind of drops/throws the ball. It slowly travels down the lane and with fairly good accuracy, dad knocks down 9 pins! The area goes wild - dad is ecstatic - I think to myself, that I have to get him in a senior league.

Before we leave, I ask at the front desk about a senior group, and to my surprise they have a (senior) league forming May 25. The cost is $10.00 per week, which includes coffee, dessert, and a free bowling ball with custom drilling! Not a bad deal at all. I am thrilled because I have been at my wits end trying to find a couple of activities for dad to enjoy and now I found one that will serve an additional purpose of increased activity (for him) as well. For a total of $30.00 we ended up bowling three games x four people (remember Larry and I shared the game), shoe rental, and a pitcher of soda. Now that is what I call a bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment