Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Life as Primary Caregiver - The Horrors of Dentures

Thursday February 4, 2010
6 days since dad moved to Colorado


Today I took dad to the dentist to be fitted for dentures. It was decided that dad would get a full denture for the top and a partial for the bottom. His last four teeth (two on the top and two on the bottom) would be pulled this morning. Dad was excited about getting his teeth fixed. Since the accident, he has not been able to eat as his previous dental work was destroyed and his remaining teeth were damaged in the impact.

Dad did really well and tolerated the procedure without anything more than a local injection into his gums. After the procedure, the dentist placed the appliances into dad's mouth. I was actually surprised that this is done because the mouth is so tender and the pressure from the dentures, I would think would be incredibly painful.

However, the dentist assures me that this is the best way as the dentures will help keep the swelling and bleeding down and make it that much easier to tolerate the new anatomy in the mouth. Who am I to argue? I don't agree, but hopefully the dentist will be right about it. I have dad sleep with a soft mask (the kind you see dentists wear) so that it would catch any drainage from his mouth.

Friday February 5, 2010

Dad wakes up in horrible pain. I am so glad I had dad where the soft mask because it was full of blood and other drainage, which would have been all over the pillow if it had not been contained, by the mask. The gums were terribly red and sore. I gave dad some ibuprofen to help with the swelling and then had him rinse his mouth with an antiseptic rinse I purchased before hand for this occasion. I feel so badly for dad, I had my wisdom teeth pulled 30 years ago and to this day I still remember the pain I had - it last a good ten days. I worry about dad getting dehydrated, so I keep him on a high liquid diet for now.

Monday February 8, 2010
4 days since denture procedure


Dad is in a lot of pain and discomfort from the dentures. We stop in today and the dentist makes some adjustments. He assures me that this is normal and to come back as often as necessary for adjustments.

Monday February 15, 2010
11 days since denture procedure


Dad is not tolerating the dentures at all. He tells me the bridge is fine but the upper denture is hurting him. What is frustrating to me is he complains to me about it and then when we go into the dentist he acts as if the pain is minor. I think this dentist is a saint for putting up with dad. I wonder how many of his other clients are coming in this frequently.

Monday February 22, 2010
18 days since denture procedure


The dentist continues to advice dad to wear the dentures all day to get used to them. But my father will not listen. He tells the dentist that the adjustment feels very good. We go home, he eats lunch and then complains the appliance hurts and he takes them out. Now he is talking about having the remaining two teeth pulled because he doesn't want the dentures anymore! Larry and I convince him that it really is in his best interest to keep the dentures so he can enjoy food and not just live on soup and soft foods.

Monday March 1, 2010
25 days since denture procedure


The dentist is able to see what is hurting dad; evidently, there is some bone that is exposed where a dead tooth was pulled. He does something to the area and then adjusts the dentures and guess what? My dad finally has a big smile on his face. The dentures don't hurt. To be sure I give him a couple of crackers to eat - I should have done this weeks ago. I want to make sure that the dentures feel fine when he is eating something. So far so good, he says. So now we have good fitting and comfortable top denture and no complaints about the bottoms (they seem to fit fine since the first day).

Monday March 15, 2010
39 days since denture procedure


Over the last few days dad started complaining that the bottom bridge now does not fit well. Perhaps the pain of the upper denture was masking the bottom bridge pain. I don't know, but now we have to deal with the bridge. Oh this poor dentist, I feel so sorry for him. He has been nothing but kind, but I wonder how long that will last?
The dentist makes significant changes to the bridge so it fits more comfortably and I am worried that it is going to be too loose. Sure enough at dinner dad is complaining that food is getting under the bridge and pushing it up. He is very frustrated and says that the dentist "killed my teeth."

Monday March 22, 2010
46 days after denture procedure


The dentist always greets us with a smile and kind word. I don't see a wedding band on his finger - surprising, he should be married - the guy would make a great husband! So patient, considerate, and kind. On the other hand, maybe he was married and took all of his work frustration out at home? Hmmm, I wonder, the guy is just too perfect.
He spends a long time with dad today, and brings in his technician to see what can be done with the bottom bridge. Dad leaves and still complains. The dentist asks him to please wear it all day for the next couple of weeks too much adjusting may break the bridge. I knew dad would not listen. He ate lunch. Complained that the top denture keeps falling down and the bridge keeps coming up. He takes them both out right at the lunch table. How gross, good thing my kids and Larry were not around to see this little display.

Monday April 5, 2010
53 days after denture procedure


Dad refuses to wear the dentures - he says he can eat without them. Just pull the bottom two teeth and his gums are strong enough to eat anything. To prove it he eats an apple that he cuts into quarters. I was surprised to see him eat it with no problem. However, 30 minutes later he tells me that his gums are hurting him. I reminded him that he is expecting his gums to do the job of real teeth and they are going to hurt. He still does not want the dentures.

I wait a week to see if dad still feels this strongly about the dentures. He is so indecisive, one day he wants them, and the next day he doesn't, the next day he wants me to make the decision. No wonder he never did anything with his life, he can't make up his mind!

Monday April 12 2010
60 days after denture procedure


Well, dad still does not want the dentures. The dentist told me about a month ago that if the dentures don't work out he would give us our money back He will keep trying to make it perfect if we give him the chance. I call the office, so apologetic; the receptionist was very kind and said that I should bring back in the dentures and she would give me a check. I didn't even ask if it were for the full amount because I was so embarrassed and just wanted to get off the phone.

Monday April 19 2010
67 days after denture procedure


I am supposed to bring in the dentures today. I dread going back to the dentist. First, I don't know if I am going to get the full amount back. Could he decide to charge us for each week of adjustments? I mention to dad that today I will bring the dentures back to the dentist. He says, "Maybe I should give them another chance?" My mouth dropped open and I just stared at him in exasperation. Fortunately, Larry and the kids were a witness to this because my dad will deny ever saying it (he has very selective memory). I call the dentist and thank goodness, I got the voicemail. I left a message, and asked for their patience and understanding with my almost 90 year old dad. He wants to try again. I would like to know if I could bring him in later this week for another adjustment. No response back yet.

Here is a word of caution to all of you out there considering dentures. Take it seriously and make sure you are willing to make the commitment to them. Dentures are not like real teeth; they serve a purpose, but do not take the place of real teeth. You have to get used to them, plain and simple. Although I still have all of my teeth and can't speak for denture-wear, I can say that I had to wear a full set of braces for 18 months between the ages of 45-47. I hated them. Food would be stuck in the braces, the wires would poke me in the gums, and I would get sores from pressure points. However, I got used to them. Now at the age of 50 I have the most gorgeous set of teeth! I don't even remember all the discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment