Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cooking for Aging Taste Buds

Monday June 7 2010
153 days since accident
130 days in Colorado


Cooking for the elderly can be a challenge for a number of reasons, from poor appetite to decreasing numbers of taste buds. In dad’s case, I have the added problem of his lack of teeth. In the few short months since his arrival dad has lost a significant amount of muscle mass. Never having much of a weight problem, dad is all of a sudden finding himself very wrinkled, with sagging skin, and protruding bones. I supplement his meals with high calorie protein shakes but the real problem comes from his lack of appetite.

I have had to become very creative, while attempting to prepare nutritious foods for dad. I notice that he really enjoys the sweet stuff. Therefore, I experimented by putting a small amount of Splenda in several of his meals. To my pleasant surprise, dad not only enjoyed the meals he finished them.

Side Note > At approximately 40 – 50 years of age, we begin to experience a decrease in our taste buds, which is one of the reasons why the elderly lose their appetite. Food starts to taste very bland and unappetizing. The most important thing to remember when cooking for the elderly is to make sure that each meal contains a variety of nutritious foods.

For example, dad is not a vegetable lover so I have to juice most of his vegetables and mix in something sweet like apple juice. Fruits and vegetables provide an immediately energy source in the form of glucose which is critical for the brain. I can always tell when dad needs to eat something because he becomes weak and confused. I immediately give him one of the fruit/vegetable blends that I have prepared for him and within fifteen minutes, he is feeling better


I prepare, portion, and freeze most of dad's meals in advanced. This has become especially helpful when Larry and I have our weekly date night and the kids have to prepare grandpa’s dinner. Cooking for aging taste buds does not have to become a chore, just adding a small amount of sugar substitute and see if you can convert your poor eater into someone who enjoys food again!

No comments:

Post a Comment